Monday, February 13, 2017

My job is to meditate

Ok, well my job isn't really to meditate. But at 53 I've found employment where I feel obligated to meditate. (A benefit with lifetime results better than a 401K or pension.) I tend to put other people's needs before my own. And sometimes that's a good thing. My (then) 3 year old daughter couldn't wait to grow up "so she could smoke like mommy".  So I quit smoking.  My daughter wanted to join a gym and needed a workout buddy, so I joined a gym. My husband wants to watch football on Sundays, so I became a Patriots fan. I admit sitting in front of the TV for 3 hours, having snacks and sipping cocktails is not as hard as quitting smoking or going to the gym. So now that mindfulness, self destressing and conscious calming are part of my JOB requirement—I'm committed. I'm not taking time for myself, it's for my job. Someday I hope to evolve enough as a person to admit that it feels good to do things for myself. Until then, I'll take my job responsibilities seriously, and meditate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment